Thursday, February 24, 2011

Opening Remarks

I've  decided to create this blog as a way to share my experiences in Warhammer Fantasy Battle tournaments. I'm often discussing tournament results with people, and I thought it would be nice to have a place to record those experiences.  Let me say up front that I am not a great player by any means, so if you are looking for tales of epic victory, you are in the wrong place.  I CAN show you how to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory if you are interested, however.

Here's my obligatory introductory gamer bio:

Over the past two years, I have become increasingly interested (obsessed?) with miniature war gaming.  I started playing miniature games with 2nd edition Warhammer 40k back in the 90s.  My friend and I split the starter box.  I took the Marines; he took the Orks.  We played off and on for a few years, but it was more of a distraction than a hobby.  Indeed, it was of such little concern that I pitched my first army into the trash during a move, thinking that I'd never play again (and not realizing that Warhammer figures can be sold -- I still have nightmares about my horribly painted Ultramarines languishing in a dump somewhere.  Watching Toy Story 3 makes it worse).

About ten years ago, I felt the itch to return. Even though I really didn't have anyone to play with, I purchased an army (Necrons!) and started painting it up.  Eventually, I made a call to a local game store and spoke with a player in the shop (you can read his war gaming blog Da Long Wayz Dezert Group -- it's a great one!).  He mentored me in the finer arts of the hobby, and soon I was playing weekly games and heading to the occasional tournament.

Since moving to NC, I have fallen in with a group of Warhammer Fantasy Battles gamers (who sometimes go by the moniker "The Rotgut Manglers").  I find that I enjoy WHFB more than 40k, and I haven't touched either of my 40k armies since coming up here.  In the last year, wargaming has become my number one hobby, and this blog is an extension of that.

I have played in a few tournaments this year with mixed results (won best general at one; finished dead last in another).  I usually play in Sci-Fi Genre in Durham.  They have a great group of Warhammer Fantasy players, and they do tournaments every other month (I'm guessing the next one will be in May).  However, this blog will pick up with the Brawler Bash in Raleigh on April 9th.  I've been once before, and it's great fun.  There are 40 people this year, so I'm looking forward to meeting some new gamers, seeing some beautifully painted armies, and snatching some more defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'll tell you about it after it's over. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment